Approved Explosives and Explosive Caps (Detonators) for Use in Underground Coal Mines
Prepare summary of regulatory requirements on the use of explosives and detonators in Canadian
underground coal mines.
- Only explosives and detonators listed on the Natural Resources Canada website are
approved for use in Canada:
http://www.NRCan.gc.ca/mms/explosif/pub/publi_e.html#aulist Part 1a (Manufactured in
Canada) and Part 2a (Manufactured Abroad)
- Explosives and Detonators approved for use in coal mines are identified in Column "iii".
They are simply indicated with either a "12" or a "2" alone.
- Only these approved products are considered permissible in Canadian coal mines and
have been tested by the Health & Safety Executive (HSE) in the UK (due to acceptability
of the HSE testing facility/procedures).
- These explosives and detonators can be ordered from the company listed, assuming that
they are continued to be manufactured.
- Products that are approved by MSHA are not automatically approved for use in Canadian
- Importation into Canada of these items require a supplier or user to acquire an
"Importation Permit" from NRCan's Explosives Regulatory Division.
- Following 9/11, there is now an extensive security check on any individual or company
ordering explosives and detonators from the USA. The wait from ordering to delivery
can stretch up to 3 months.
- G. Corbett will ask NRCan's Explosive Regulatory Division to consider adding an index
of symbols with the list of approved explosives and detonators.
- Undertake an investigation into the major differences between the testing specifications
used by HSE in the UK and MSHA in the USA.
- Investigate possibility of allowing MSHA approved explosives and detonators to be used
in Canadian underground coal mines.
- For additional information please contact G. Corbett at Tel: (613) 996-9065 , E-mail:
gcorbett@NRCan.gc.ca or else contact NRCan's Explosives Regulatory Division directly.
G. Corbett and G. Bonnell
May 1, 2003